Monday, April 12, 2010

Our Budding Artiste!

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed in our library's newsletter that there was a call for art submissions from the 12 and under crowd to be showcased in a children's art show. It could be just about anything...a collage, drawing, painting, sculpture, photo...whatever your kid desired to enter. I thought this would be great for Quinton since he loves to draw, sculpt and paint!
After reviewing Quinton's portfolio, however, I realized he's actually an accomplished photographer, you know, for a 4 year-old, I mean. I'm not too shy about letting Quinton use my digital camera here and there and he's actually taken some really interesting pictures. It's kind of fun, too, to see the world from the lens angle of a 4 year-old.
Quinton and I spent a little time one afternoon just wandering around the backyard and neighborhood taking pictures and I really loved on of his shots and submitted it to the art show. Yesterday was the "reception" for the art show artists, complete with apple juice, donut holes and chocolate crayons. Talk about kid-swanky!
Here is Quinton accepting his art certificate.
When we arrived at the reception, there were several members of the volunteer group that made the show possible and a couple of parents of fellow artists. When we arrived, we told them Quinton's name and asked where we could find his photo. This was the cute part because once the volunteers realized that it was Quinton who submitted the only photo in the art show, they all complimented him on his photo. Even the other parents commented on how great the lighting and composition of his picture turned out.
For Quinton's part, he really played it cool...until he noticed the chocolate crayons!
Here is Quinton's photo amongst the other art work:
The close-up of Quinton's photo:
It was such a fun experience and the volunteers were so encouraging, I think we might enter the art show every year!

Matt and Quinton riding home from the library.
I took the picture from the car...have I mentioned I am 35 and a half weeks pregnant and walking home several blocks sounds like an act of torture at this point?

3 comments:

Beckie said...

so fun! Congrats Quinton. WE saw Matt and Q riding home from the library. FUN, Marlee even said, "hey, we saw them that day!"

Shana said...

Dang! Quinton is a great artist! I am in awe of that because I can't even draw a good stick person! :(

Amy & Greg said...

The picture was awesome! I wish I were that good.

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...