Unfortunately, on this raining drizzly morning, as Matt and I were readying for church, it was apparent Quinton had a nasty cough and a yucky runny nose. Matt volunteered to stay home with Quinton to let him rest and not pass on his cold to the other kids at church. So I sat by myself at church, a little bummed that Matt and Quinton weren't there to sit with me, but it was a teeny bit nice to sit quietly and enjoy the talks for Mother's Day. Just as church started, though, my lovely friend Mrs. R came up from behind me and gave me a nice hug and for a minute, I though that her scarf must have dropped on me but when I looked down, it was a lovely Hawaiian lei! What a treat and surprise!
For Mother's Day the past couple of years, I have sent the special moms in my life leis direct from Hawaii. I just think it's a fun way to show off the special moms in my life with flowers that mirror their beauty. Matt surprised me this year and called Mrs. R's husband, Mr. K, since he is Hawaiian, to see where Matt could buy a lei in Chicago. Mr. K informed Matt that he didn't know of any place in Chicago to buy a lei, but was in fact making a lei for his wife and would try and make one for me! Color me shocked to find out the beautiful lei I was surprised with was also made by Mr. K! He is one very talented husband! He also plays the bass (the tall string instrument, not the guitar) in a Hawaiian music group that performs all over the Chicago area.
Below is a picture of the lei draped over a really cool Mother's Day present from Matt and Quinton. In Quinton's Montessori class he goes to once a week, the teacher had them stamp their handprints on this cute little poem. Matt and Quinton framed the poem and I can't tell you how much I already cherish this! Thanks to Miss Nancy for her thoughtfulness in helping the children make this for their moms!
But everyday I'm growing
(I'll be all grown someday)
And all those tiny hand prints
Will surely fade away.
Very cute, huh? It made Matt and I both tear up a little to think that Quinton is already growing so big! Here is a picture of Quinton wearing my shoes around the house...he's just too funny!
Below, Quinton and I after he gave me my other Mother's Day gift, a nice pair of cute pajamas! Matt and Q know exactly what I like :) (I picked them out!)
My other Mother's Day-ish gift was this! A brand new Blackberry Curve! Holding it, I just feel like the 21st Century is beckoning me with open arms! I am SO excited to learn how to use my new toy, I mean highly essential communication tool!
I have been using a piece of crap phone for about two years now. It was to the point that for about 5 months now, I couldn't save any new contacts in my cell phone so I have to keep looking up phone numbers or keep asking people for their phone numbers. But NOW, NOW I am SUPER COOL! When the salesman was holding it, showing me the features, I felt like a kid waiting to ride their shiny new bike for the first time! All I heard was "Blah, Blah, Blah, YOUR BLACKBERRY, Blah, Blah, Blah." And when he handed it over, I heard the angels singing above! Okay, not really but it was a lot like that!
Now that I have my precious, I mean my Blackberry, you can expect a lot more annoying phone calls - and possibly emails from yours truly!
SUPASTAR!

I forgot to show you all Matt and Quinton's crafty treat for me from my birthday. Matt and Q were in the basement for about 2 hours, the night before my birthday, putting together this gem:
Pretty fantastic, eh?
6 comments:
So fun!! I love that project from preschool - and that Matt had it framed.
And can I say I totally have Blackberry envy?? Very fun!
Wow! What an awesome Mother's Day! Leis are a great idea!
SWEET phone. The poem handprint thing is so cute. Jonathan made me a handprint frame thing, too minus the poem.
How cool you got a homemade leis. You are definitely LOVED Stacy!!
We miss you guys!!
Spoiled! You totally scored (I hope in more ways that you mentioned XStacy!) Anyway... I love the blackberry, maybe I'll get Jason's when he moves on to something cooler, I always get the the old phone :( Shed a tear for me.
That poem with Quinton's hand print is such a sweet little gift. I would much rather have a gift like that then a big bought expensive gift.
Those kinds of gifts will last forever and will never fade in importance to you.
But...once in awhile the big bought expensive gifts are kind of nice too. :) Happy Mother's Day late.
We miss you!
Happy Late Mother's Day.
I loved your gift from Quinton of his hand print. How thoughtful and sweet.
Those kinds of gifts are priceless, and much more meaningful than a big expensive gift someone can just go out and buy.
But--the big expensive gifts are nice to get once in awhile too. :)
We miss you!
Post a Comment