Monday, May 21, 2012

The American Dream

Matt and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary this weekend and what better way to celebrate than to buy a house, right?

With Matt's current client, he is in Alaska or traveling to/from Alaska about 16 days out of each month...barely leaving two weeks at home with me and the boys but at least when he is home, he is not working which is a treat in and of itself that makes up for the time he's gone.  Within 2 days of receiving this job offer back in February, we found out we are pregnant with baby #3 which is a HUGE blessing but also VERY daunting given the new schedule we were presented with his new client.  Needless to say, my lack of blogging over the past few months has been a direct result of just how hard it is to be a part-time family.

As part of this job transition and rotation lifestyle, we made the difficult decision to leave Alabama for Utah and all of the prospects of family support that it holds for us.  We haven't loved Alabama the past 20 or so months but we have loved the people who have become our friends here.  Through MUCH discussion...I mean A LOT of discussion, we decided to try and buy a  house in Utah.  We know the future holds more relocations for us but we decided that buying a house now would be a good long-term investment, even if we have to rent it out on down the road.

The poast 4 months has been a supreme blur of looking at houses online, looking through list after list that realtors have sent us and going back and forth between renting and buying...BUT, all of our hard work has paid off...we hope!

This is the house in Lehi, Utah that we are under contract for...finally!
I know it looks old on the outside but the inside has been a complete remodel!

Personally, I think the white picket fence is a little cliche but oh-so-cute (and functional with a 2 year old who LOVES to wander)!
 This is the living room as you walk into the front door.  The floors are a beautiful travertine tile which I think will hold up to my boys pretty well!
 From the doorway looking into the dining room.  Originally, we had wanted a family room that opened to the kitchen & dining areas but I really liked the flow of this house.  No, I haven't been in it but Matt was there on Friday and both he and the agent LOVED this house.
 The kitchen...what can I say?  Usually I like the nice natural wood colors but this kitchen just seems so crisp and clean and modern.  I can HARDLY wait to get in the house to see it all for myself!
 Another angle of the kitchen from the dining area...it looks more spacious in this picture.

This is the hallway that houses the three upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms, looking towards the family room.  The stairs lead down to the basement that has three more bedrooms, a storage room, a media room, laundry room and full bathroom.  Can you say bring on the houseguests???

There are more pictures to the house but I can only get so much posted right now!  I am too excited to move on to our next chapter that includes making this house a home for our growing family!  Maybe my next few posts will be about the joys of packing with a handy 2 year old!

4 comments:

Heather said...

It's just beautiful! Congrats to your fam!

Kara and Theo said...

What a gorgeous place!! I can't wait to come visit you guys! And it seems you have plenty of room downstairs for our whole family! =)

Mills Family said...

So excited for you guys! Your house is beautiful!

melissa walker said...

That is a wonderful house--good luck with your new adventures and moving!

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...