August 15th, 2011
The day will go down in Harker family history for being Quinton's first day of Kindergarten!
Quinton was so excited to start school. Lucky for me, his school had a "Bridges" program, two weeks before school started. Bridges is a week of half-day kindergarten where the kids don't wear their uniforms and they get to know the school and what's expected of them. Bridges is optional but it was vital to me to have Quinton go since he hasn't been in a classroom setting since we moved here. What was really nice about the program is that Quinton's Bridges teacher was also his kindergarten teacher.
I say I was lucky for the Bridges program because that first day I dropped him off, I made it to the car and then the tears came! So by the time the first REAL day of the first FULL day of Kindergarten came along, I held it together remarkably well (I think)!
In getting ready for the big day, Matt shared a tradtition that he had when he was a kid and that was the back-to-school scarecrow. The "scarecrow" was made up of the clothes you wear on the first day of school. At first, when I heard that the entire Mobile, AL school system requires uniforms, I was totally bummed. I love shopping and dressing my boys and I felt like *my* creativity was going to be stifled. Four weeks into the school year, however, and I am ready to praise the geniuses who mandated school uniforms! Getting dressed everyday is SO easy! Quinton's hardest decision in the morning is what cereal to eat! Thank goodness!
Here is Quinton's first scarecrow!
2 comments:
What a cutie! Sounds like you are making some fun traditions. I don't think I would mind uniforms. I especially like the tennis balls on the bottoms of all the chair legs. That isn't redneck at all :)
What a cute idea with the pancake!!
Post a Comment