Wednesday, September 22, 2010

5 Months, 5 Years, Mississippi & A Bike Ride for the Books!

Funny thing, you don't see a lot of me on my blog...this is because I'd rather go on and on about the wonderful guys in my life like these two:
Here they are again.
Can you feel the love squeezing out of Quinton's arms?
I can't believe Sawyer is 5 months old (21 and a half weeks to be exact)!
He is so chubby and cute. You can't see his delicious little thighs in these pictures, but trust me, they are DIVINE!
Sawyer is already rolling over like a champ and thinks rice cereal is just O.K. He tried bananas tonight for the first time and REALLY enjoyed it! I think he'll be crawling in another two weeks which is exciting and scary at the same time! Wish me luck, I'll need it.
And here they are again...in my bed...if someone had taken a picture of me, they would have found me curled up on Quinton's twin bed after these two took over mine!
Here is my other baby, I mean big boy!
Quinton turned 5!
My oh my, how time flies! Having Sawyer has made Quinton seem so much older all of the sudden. I love hanging out with Quinton...he makes me crack up with the funny things he says and his strange observations. Yesterday, in the car, I sneezed and Quinton said, "Bless you. Hey mom, isn't it a good thing I was in here with you?" Me: "Why is that?" Quinton: "So I could say bless you!" - Of course, right?

We celebrated Quinton's birthday at his favorite: Chuck E. Cheese's
Silly Grandpa made it all the way from Idaho to come to Quinton's birthday party!
And Quinton's cousins made it a great party, too.
Me and my boys, partying it up!

Before Quinton's birthday last week, Matt, Sawyer and I flew to Mobile, Alabama for a house hunting trip. Matt's new job will be in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Yes, I have to spell it out in my head every time I type it. And it isn't Mobile, it's pronounced Mo-Beel!
Mo-Beel turned out to be a lot like where I grew up in Melbourne, Florida only people have thicker southern accents than I am used to which I think will provide lots of funny vignettes for my blog once we move to the south in October.
We found some lovely homes but I think we are going to rent instead of buy...the market is just too unstable to be saddled with a house for a job assignment that might only last for 18 months. With Matt's new job, we will be moving every couple of years.

This picture was taken in our hotel...you can't see it but the clocks say "Sydney, Tokyo, Mobile, Moscow, London" pretty funny, in my book!
Sawyer enjoying the fluffy hotel towels after a bath.
And here is my other boy I like to brag about!
The weekend of September 11th, Matt fulfilled his year-long goal to ride in the longest sanctioned bike race from Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming called LOTOJA. Only 2,500 cyclists have the opportunity to ride in this 206-mile race each year. Matt and two friends from Chicago have been training all year for this race as well as raising funds for the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Matt has spent almost every Saturday for the last year training for the race, not to mention a couple of days each week, trying to fit rides in wherever he could. Lucky for Matt, he spent the last two months training in the Utah mountains because our Chicago friends had a little bit of a rough time in this altitude.
Lucky me, I was able to be part of the support crew. Me and Krazy Khania! It was a fun 12 hours in the car with Khania by my side but when we pulled up to the feed zones to help our team, she was alllllll business!
Here is Matt before launch at 6:30 am.
Here is Matt at our first Feed Zone where we met our team in Montpelier, Idaho. At this stop, 80 miles into the race, Matt was ready to stop - sort of - he just needed a pep talk and he was on his way again.
Here is Krazy Khania and her cyclist husband, Isaac. Aren't they cute? Don't let this picture deceive you because she is a WOMAN ON A MISSION when it comes time to feed and water our team!
Here is Matt in Afton, Wyoming. He was feeling pretty good by now and the team was doing great, too.
Matt's parents met up with us in Alpine, Wyoming - the last feed zone before the finish line. Matt's Aunt and Uncle were also there too, to cheer him on. Matt loved having so much support and it was a blast to cheer him on!
We caught up with Matt on his way up a big climb in the race.

This is why I love Khania! We were SO excited for the guys to cross the finish line! Matt finished the race with his buddies, Mark and Isaac at 12 hours and 39 minutes, not bad for his first time, it was actually really great!

Mark and Matt rehashing after the race.

I have to say that I love my boys, all three of them. I can't imagine life without them! I am also grateful to my friends and family far and wide. It hasn't been easy to relocate and think about moving again...I miss my girlfriends! They are a big part of my life and it's hard to get excited about making new friends in Mississippi/Alabama when I know I may not be there very long.

4 comments:

Kathy Russell said...

You Go Girl!!! LOVE your writing!

Tonya said...

Alright you! Better watch making fun of us "Mo-beelians"! ;) You just wait! I bet you will take some of that southern accent when you leave! Bet you will also learn to love and appreciate it! Not everyone can say "hand" with 2 or 3 syllables, ya know!! Haha! Oh, that's right, Quinton will go to Kindergarten and 1st grade there. Poor thing! He may need a translator when his teacher calls out is spelling words!

Sarah S said...

Happy Birthday Q!! And good job Matt on your looooong bike ride!

melissa walker said...

What a full post! Congrats to Matt and I have to say the support teams mean everything to the racers!

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...