Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day!
I wanted to give my dad a proper shout out since he is such an awesome dad!

Out of all the recent pictures I have of my dad, I think this one best represents his personality. My dad is one of the funniest, wittiest and silliest dads that I know. The grandkids affectionately call him Silly Grandpa and that could be considered an understatement!
I was at a baby shower with friends last week and the subject of funny laughs came up - I happened to tell the ladies and proceeded to demonstrate my dad's laugh, much to the amusement of my friends. For the rest of the evening, my friends kept asking me to laugh like my dad. It's kind of like when you start coughing really hard and when you are out of breath, you start to wheeze a little - well, that's kind of like my dad's laugh. It's like there's no air left in his lungs but he just keeps laughing and wheezing. I can recall sitting in movie theaters during funny movies with my dad and all you can hear is his laugh.
In college, during one semester, I would routinely call my dad right after French class - while he was at work, to practice my french on him. Inevitably my dad would have to say "Wait a minute, I have to shut my office door" and I would tell him stories about college life, wacky roommates and random college calamities that would happen to me. My favorite part of these calls was when my dad couldn't even talk because he was laughing too hard and all I could hear was his wheezing laugh on my end. Usually the call would end with my dad saying, "Now how am I supposed to get any work done the rest of the day?" because we had so much fun chatting.
Thanks, Dad!
P.S. My friend, Khania, wants me to get a video of you laughing!
Happy Dad's Day, Matt!
Matt, from the first moment we found out we were pregnant, has been the most loving dad a kid could want! Quinton and Matt are two peas in a pod. I often receive comments from friends that Quinton is the spitting image of his dad and it's definitely true.
A friend and fellow blogger interviewed her kids about their dad so I copied the same questions and interviewed Quinton:
What is something your dad always says to you?
Quinton: You're my best buddy
What makes your dad happy?
Quinton: When I say I love you
What makes your dad sad?
Quinton: When I am disobedient
How does your dad make you laugh?
Quinton: He makes me laugh like a silly monkey
How old is your dad?
Quinton: Four and a half
How tall is your dad?
Quinton: (reaching his arms above his head) This tall
What is his favorite thing to do?
Quinton: Tickle me
What is your dad really good at?
Quinton: He's good at Optimus Prime
What is your dad not very good at?
Quinton: Getting no potty (I'm scratching my head at this one, too)
What is your dad's favorite food?
Quinton: Chicken, I like chicken, too.
If your dad were a cartoon character, who would he be?
Quinton: Optimus Prime
How are you and your dad different?
Quinton: He's big and I'm little
How do you know your dad loves you?
Quinton: When he plays with me
What does your dad like most about your mom?
Quinton: He likes when you cook
Where is your dad's favorite place to go?
Quinton: Hiking
What did your dad like to do when he was a kid?
Quinton: Play marbles
What does your dad do when you're not around?
Quinton: I don't know
What does your dad do for his job?
Quinton: He goes shopping in his red car
What do you and your dad do together?
Quinton: Wrestle him
How are you and your dad the same?
Quinton: We both have belly buttons
What is your dad's favorite color?
Quinton: Blue
There you have it!
Maybe you learned something new about Matt from Quinton!
Happy Father's day, too, to our Grandpa Ferrin, Great-Grandpa John and our Grandpa Gardner. We are very lucky to have so many wonderful dads in our lives!

6 comments:

Leann Jester said...

cute story about your dad. I want to here him laugh now.

Joe V. said...

Wow, Matt! You have a belly button! I never knew that about you.

Happy Father's Day, friend.

Jade said...

Thanks for your daddy questions...I will copy it for my wife to interview with Alex. Sadly enough, I am sure if Alex could answer a half of those questions... Impressive interview! Please say hi to Matt and Quinton.

BTW, Alex is also mad for Optimus Prime. He's even watched Transformer at least over 100 times. Think every kids love robot, as I did back then.

Ashley said...

Adorable! Love the little kid answers! They're always good for a laugh.

Smalliver said...

Very astute Daddy observations, Quinton. Sounds like an interesting fellow. Can't wait to meet him for myself in a month!

Melisa said...

Aw, cute interview!

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...