I decided to save a couple of quarters in gas and pick up Quinton from his Montessori class with my bike and trailer. It's only about a 10-minute ride but in the last two minutes, we had a not so fun scare!
About halfway down our block, I noticed a German Sheperd staring at us and I couldn't see his owner anywhere. Then, the dog started walking towards us and I decided to cross to the other side of the street. Great idea, but the dog then started RUNNING AFTER US AND BARKING/SNARLING!
I tried not to freak out because you aren't supposed to show fear, right? They can smell it, right? So I yelled, "No, Dog!" peddled a little faster and then, he kept running after us, so I yelled, "COME GET YOUR DOG," to no one in particular, hoping the owner was nearby.
By now, I was about 3 houses away from my house but not sure if I should try and bike to the backyard before the dog caught us or if I should keep going. Just then, a SUPER nice guy in a car coming our way stopped and shouted, "Is that your dog?" That guy stopping his car and shouting stopped the dog in his tracks and I yelled back, "NO! Keep him away from us!" So the guy kept yelling at the dog to GO HOME while Q and I ran into the house.
Once I enetered the house, I ended up calling the local police department. At first, they said they didn't have an animal control department and to find a place in the yellow pages to take care of the dog. So I went back outside to see if the dog was still loose. Instead, the guy who 'saved' us, came driving back down our block and stopped and asked if I was calling the police. I told him what the police said and the guy told me the address of the dog's owner. Apparently, this guy stayed in his car, yelling at the dog to go home until the dog did. So I called the police back with the address and last I saw, there was a cruiser at that house. I don't know what happened from there but I was SO grateful for the man in the green Cubs shirt who yelled at the dog and kept the dog away from us!
My older sister has been bitten BAD by a strange dog so I know that some of these dogs mean business and can cause harm. It such a helpless feeling to have a dog barking, snarling and running after you and your child! Not to mention it's a great way to get to know your neighbors by calling the cops on their dog. Sheesh! I could do without THIS kind of excitement in my life!
5 comments:
SCARY Stacy!!! I would have been completely freaking out. I hate mean dogs and think you were really brave! Thank goodness for that guy that helped you. And hopefully the dog won't be running loose next time, now that the police have paid the owner a visit :)
I'm so sorry! That totally happened to me! Only, I was pushing a stroller with my 2 boys in it. And then these 2 dogs started coming at me and growling. I totally froze. I didn't know what I was going to do. No way I could out run them pushing a double stroller. But just then my postal carrier pulled up and started yelling and kicking at them and I went home as fast as possible. Needless to say, he received many cookies during our time there. And I bought a thing of pepper spray to take whenever I went on walks. I had to use it once, but I missed the dog. At least he left me alone after that.
Scary, I hate stray dogs. We were at the park once and there was a scary dog roaming around, so I took the kids to the top of the slide and stayed there until it was far enough away for us to make a run for it. Glad you made it out okay. Good for you for calling the cops. I always wanted to call the cops in Philly on our neighbor but Trevor would never let me.
MAN my heart was racing! I HATE dogs every since being chased as a child. Unfortunately Cedi LOVES them...grrr they make me SO nervous! I'm glad you guys are ok!
So scary! My brother paul just got bit, he called animal control. That is my worst fear...I am glad you both are ok.. thankgoodness for helpful strangers!
Post a Comment