Diaper Diaries
Day #645
Seriously, I think I saw the animals coming in two by two today, about the time it starting pouring on my way to church. It has rained everyday this week! Last night, on my way home with the babysitter, we almost had to use our go-go-gadget-boat-car to wade through a street that was in the process of flooding!
When we came home from church this afternoon, after a couple of hours of rain, the flood plain next to our house was the fullest we've ever seen it! When we were standing in the driveway admiring the plain's beauty as a LAKE, you could hear what sounded like a river. It was the water running off of the flood plain and onto the golf course! Yikes!
Tonight, we had some new friends and old ones come over for dinner, yummy waffles, bacon, sausage and zucchini bread. One of our friends is a Tulsa native and she hasn't recalled a summer wetter than this in a very long time. Indeed, when we were here this time last year, it was so hot, I thought I was still in Phoenix! I have to say the rain isn't too bad, even though it means Quinton and I do a lot of indoor activities...the bad part of all of this rain is the mosquitoes! Every time Quinton goes outside, I find a couple more mosquito bites on him...plus, they are some of the biggest mosquitoes I've ever seen and I'm from Florida!
Well, enough about our rain. Matt did arrive in Tulsa, very early Thursday morning at 6am after a 10-hour drive from Indianapolis with a complete stranger. He spent the rest of the day sleeping and playing with Quinton, a pretty good day, in my book. Thursday evening, we went for a walk down by the Arkansas river. There's a lovely walking bridge over the river and with all of the rain, we were curious to see how full it was. This time last year, you could have walked across the river and probably not even your shoes would have been wet. Now, the river is so full, you wouldn't want to stand too close to the riverbank because all of the rain and water flow are eroding them! On the other side of the bridge is a lovely shopping area and we treated Quinton to some Marble Slab ice cream...it was an enjoyable family evening after Matt being gone for almost two weeks!
Friday evening was nice and low key. Matt even had a chance to mow the backyard before the rain came down again! Plus, we picked some of the zucchini growing in his garden. Matt is so proud of his garden and so are Quinton and I! A lot of people say it's hard to grow stuff in the soil around here because it's made up of a lot of clay. Matt was careful in using a lot of topsoil to build a good foundation. Then he put chicken wire up to keep Quinton and the rabbits out of it and voila! We have squash and zucchini ready to pick! Today, before church, I made some yummy chocolate chip orange zucchini bread (click for recipe) and it turned out super yummy! I have a feeling all of our local friends will be receiving several loaves of zucchini bread from us this summer with how big they are turning out! We cooked up the squash for dinner on Friday night and it was delish!
A funny story: a couple of months ago, when Matt was out of town, I could NOT find my cell phone anywhere. I looked all over the house and cars and then I finally used the home phone to dial my cell. Guess where it was? In our subwoofer speaker! That little turkey, Quinton, stuck my phone in the subwoofer and there is no way to take the back of the speaker off without damaging the entire contraption. Good thing my mom thought MacGuyver was good looking back in the day because I was able to fashion a ruler and some sticky tape together and after cursing the subwoofer and admonishing Quinton, I was able to fish out my cell phone.
Fast forward to about a month ago when we found a dozen or so plastic Easter eggs in the subwoofer and then to Friday night, we found an array of other toys in the subwoofer, again! So you'll see pictures somewhere in this blog with Quinton's hand in the subwoofer trying to fish his toys out of it. What a funny little boy!
We hope you are all doing well. If you read all of these, I hope they are amusing enough to come back every now and again. I actually print these off and put them in Quinton's baby journal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy 45th Birthday!
Dear Matt, Happy 45 th Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...
-
Yes, I know I should patent this idea since it worked SO WELL for me, but here goes: Pink Pullups for Boys That's my secret. Pink Pullu...
-
On Sunday, March 1st, my mom, and sisters, Alyee and Jessi, and I traveled to Casper, Wyoming, while my dad stayed home with the boys in Ut...
-
Who wouldn't love having Rachel Ray as one of your good friends??? Especially, my friend, the REAL Rachel Ray ! Of course, sharing your ...
2 comments:
Electronically challenged as I am, at first I thought a "subwoofer" was a really small dog! That Q... whatta guy!
Stacy, I thought for a minute that I was seeing picture of Farmington after a storm. It would be scary with just you and Quinton. Glad you have had experience with Florida weather.
Tell Mark that a subwoofer is something to do with loud noise or music. Wanda
Post a Comment