Wednesday, January 7, 2015

40+ Random Acts of Kindness for #MattsLegacy

Matthew James Harker would have turned 40 years old on January 8th, 2015.  Instead, in my mind, he will always be 39 years old...even when I am old and gray(er) and have grandkids, my memory of Matt will keep him frozen at the relatively young age he was killed.  This birthday, the first one without him here, is perhaps the hardest day for me since his funeral because it's a MILESTONE that belonged to him.  We have passed other milestones like Quinton's birthday, Gavin's birthday, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and a New Year.  Those weren't Matt's Milestones...his birthday is his and for him not to be here is a pointedly sad day for me.

The Random Acts with the hashtag #mattslegacy is a tradition I hope to keep moving forward.  If no one but my boys and I do it 40 years from now, I am okay with that, but it is a way for us to consciously remember him and take action to honor a good man who left this earth far too soon.

Thank you to all who participate this first year.  You are creating good in Matt's memory and for that, I am humbled and grateful.
Stacy
Matt's 39th Birthday Party

1 comment:

Carylee said...

What a great way to remember him. I am so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine an ounce of what you feel. Will definitely pay it forward in his honor.
Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...