Sunday, March 13, 2011

We Rolled With the Good Times!

All I can say is WOW!
This picture was taken after our first two parades. Since snapping this picture, our mardi gras stash has quadrupled! It's so crazy!
The actual Mardi Gras day was fun but I have to say that the parades leading up to Fat Tuesday's mardi gras parades were more enjoyable. When the boys and I showed up for the festivities on Tuesday, I knew the crowds would be bigger but I honestly I had no idea they would be THAT HUGE! We pulled into our secret parking space and people had tents, BBQs, smokers, canopies, couches, pack n'plays (travel crib for babies) and so much more lined up for the big day! Quinton wondered what everyone was doing!
Another thing about the crowds...I'm not sure how to say this nicely but let's just say the 'quality' of parade goers was not as savory as it had been previously. I was almost in between a Mom vs. Mom brawl when their kids started arguing over a prime standing spot - it wasn't pretty!
You can see by the picture below that it was crowded!
Plus, people were a bit more agressive during this parade making for a not-as-fun but still festive Fat Tuesday. During one of the parade breaks, we snuck over to a fun place my friend, a native Mobilian, Tonya, suggested. It's called Three Georges and it looks just like Willy Wonka's inside! This picture is literally a great illustration of "a kid in a candy store!"
I figured, what the heck and bought Quinton some really fun candies. He even wanted those waxy bottles that you bite the wax off the top and the bottle has a little fruit juice inside. I totally remember those as kids so I thought it would be fun to be old school with Quinton. Um, the waxy part still isn't very good, though.

I thought I should say a bit about a funny aspect of the parades. I think between all the parades, every high school marching band in hundred mile radius must perform in about two or three parades during mardi gras season. Apparently between all of the little towns surrounding us and in Mobile, there are about 30+ parades during the mardi gras season.

Needless to say, Matt and I were a little suprised at first by some of the outfits we saw on the dancers/flag ladies.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
This is a cool building we stood next to for one of the parades. It has that fun southern veranda, perfect for mardi gras.

Quinton modeling one of his favorite throws he managed to catch. What boy wouldn't love a sword!
And last but not least, my poor Sawyer super tuckered out after a full morning/afternoon of mardi gras parades. He was such a trooper and look at my tired smile, too. I think we all need a nap after last week's fun.

See y'all next year for the good times!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

how fun!!!! Love the beads!

Tonya said...

I am cracking up at the dancers/flag ladies outfits! Bet I can tell you what school they were from! There are a couple that come to mind! Ha! And you are so right about the marching bands in the parades! I marched in many a Mardi Gras parade during my band days!

Glad you tried out Three Georges. Spot of Tea was just a little ways down (that's my favorite girly place to eat)! They have the best chicken salad and broccoli cheese soup around! Also great brunch! Around the corner is a place called Mostly Muffins. Try it out next year! It is very yummy too!

Glad you got to have the Mardi Gras experience! I completely agree with you about the crowds on Fat Tuesday vrs. the parades leading up to Fat Tuesday. There is no comparison! The Tuesday parades (and crowds) mean business and it can get ugly!

P.S. Can't wait to see you this summer! We are looking at dates now!!

Sarah S said...

HILARIOUS!!! OH my gosh. The dancers' outfits are so funny. Thanks for posting that, I really needed a good laugh today!

melissa walker said...

Wow--Who knew you had such entertainment in Mobile! Your boys look thrilled with their "haul" too--my girls would love to get all those beads and Matt would be okay too if he caught a sword!

Kara and Theo said...

I just found your blog! Being native Mobileans I no longer enjoy Mardi Gras, mostly because of the hard core catchers. It's just plastic people!!! Did you notice to go along with those flag dancers outfits they HAD to do the dirty dancing moves. We saw this group where the guys dropped to the ground and just started dry humping their instruments! Seriously??!! Not my favorite time of year anymore...and to think it's still really tame to what you'd see in New Orleans! HA!

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...