Saturday, July 12, 2008

Don't You Wish Your Husband Was Hot Like Mine???

Matt has been looking forward to this weekend since January, I think!
Today was his first triathalon of the season!
Matt was pretty nervous about today because he's been experiencing some knee pain that he's never had and hasn't been able to train as much as he wanted to before his first big race.
This first race was about an hour and a half north of us in Kenosha, Wisconsin. You have to actually pronounce it like the locals: Kah-know-shuh, Wis-cahn-sin. See you are already steeped in Wisconsin culture!
Anywho, we stayed at the our friends' Lake Cabin last night since it's about 30 minutes from Kenosha and Matt wanted to be at the race site to drop his bike off by 5:30 AM. Lucky for us, my friend's mom, who owns the cabin, was at the cabin last night. She told us about a to-die-for frozen custard mom and pop shop where she promised I would have the best frozen custard of my life. Come to think of it, I think last night was the first time I have ever had frozen custard so, YES, it was the best I've ever had!
Anyway, After getting a lot lost last night and asking for directions at several gas stations, we arrived at Adrian's Custard in Burlington, Wisconsin. This place was quite the happening joint in the sprawling metropolis of Burlington. In case you HAVEN'T heard of Burlington, Wisconsin, there is a large Hershey's factory there (see, now you know even MORE about Wisconcin!).
Indeed, Sue Ann was correct, last night's custard was super-fantastic! We both had our own Turtle Sundaes and I even brought Matt home a strawberry sundae! Needless to say, last night's custard was a sweet reward for today's 5 AM wake up call!
To show our support for Matt, Quinton and I dragged our booties out of bed BEFORE the crack of dawn to go with Matt to the race site and watch his race. Aren't we awesome???
Here is Matt, aka DEAD Sexy, suiting up for the race---->


Snazzy outfit, eh? I bought him his Croc sandals yesterday and they totally make the outfit!
And please, notice the oh-so-tight Thunderbird Triathlon Jersey!

Quinton couldn't resist sending his dad off with a good luck kiss. Matt said he felt like the luckiest guy out there, today, with his wife and son in his cheer leading section!

This next picture is of the start of Matt's triathlon. He did the sprint distance and it started with swimming, then biking, then running. There were about 100 people in the sprint race, another 60 in the Olympic distance race, and about 50 there to race a Duet, which is the biking and running, no swimming.
The weather was pretty crappy this morning complete with rain and lightning but about 10 minutes before the start of the race, it all stopped and the race started on time!

Matt coming out of the swim and Quinton running to cheer him on...the funniest part of this interaction was when Matt ran past us and Quinton started running to follow Matt. On Quinton's left side, a race participant seemed a little miffed that Quinton was PASSING him! He said, "It's pretty bad when I'm being passed by him!" - meaning Quinton! I had to laugh!

Here's Matt starting off on his bike. The roads were really slick so most cyclists were taking it easy, including Matt! Sliding on asphalt is NOT something you want to do in these outfits!

Here is Matt passing by us the first time. he had to do 3 - five mile laps, I think.

His second lap.

And here is Quinton making the best use of his time while waiting for Matt...full body plunges into a giant muddy puddle. Have I ever mentioned how much Quinton loves mud and puddles? If not, this picture is worth a thousand kisses to Quinton's mud-loving!
And VOILA, here is Matt after the finish line! He was so excited to finish within 4 minutes of his best time. He placed 4th in his group and 17th overall, which I think is AWESOME! I am so proud of his passion and pride in keeping physically fit and competing in these races!

Matt and Q at our post-Tri breakfast in Kenosha, it was mighty yummy!


To end the day right, we stopped by the local bike shop and picked up my brand-spanking-new bicycle! It's not fancy like Matt's but it is a great cruiser for me to take Quinton around town on since gas prices are out of control these days. Now, I just need to add on my basket, bell and sparkly silver streamers to my bike and I'll be PIMPIN' on my new wheels!

JEALOUS?

5 comments:

Sarah S said...

I have a few comments -

GREAT JOB MATT!! That is so impressive and way to do so well on your first race. That looks like such hard work.

STACY - I am jealous of your bike! It looks so cush and fun. Maybe we'll get a bike trailer once we finally have a garage and then we can go for bike rides together! (But warning - I just have a mountain bike so I prob. won't be as fast :)

QUINTON - Way to beat the pants off of a runner! You're the best :)

And finally, I think you need to take a family picture in front of the Rau's house to put up on your blog before time runs out there. (I'm referring to the pic of you guys on the left sidebar in front of your home in OK)

melissa walker said...

Congrats Matt on a great tri finish! My sister does triathlons too, and we know they take a lot of training! We have a great bike trailer for kids that is so easy to hook on and off your bike--I think Quinton would love something like that!

rachel said...

Seriously who is this guy that can do a triathalon?! Congrats Matt! Stacy I love the bike, definitely you need a bell and streamers (let me know if you want me to rip the ones of Brady's big wheel for you)

Shana said...

WOWZA! I can't believe that Matt would do that stuff for fun!? That doesn't spell FUN to me, but to each their own. I have to agree with you- I have a lot of respect for others who have that kind of personal drive.
I mean, it is hard for me to even go through a day without a diet coke or chocolate. I've got problems...but that's a whole other story. :)
Tell Matt- WAY TO GO MAN!

PS Quinton is such a little cutie. That pic of him kissing Matt before his race, was priceless.

Melisa said...

That is so awesome, Matt! You are an awesome wife for getting up so dang early and an awesome mom for letting Quinton play in mud puddles knowing he'd get your car muddy.

Who knew the name Kenosha was so popular?!

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...