Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Nature's Early Christmas Gift

Diaper Diaries
Day # 814
Well, what to my wondering eyes should appear but lots of downed trees and a house full of guests! That's what the late great Ice Storm of 2007 has brought us just in time for the busy holiday season!

Saturday, it started raining a little, no big deal. But by Sunday night, the rain would fall and instantly freeze to whatever it fell upon: cars, trees, swing sets, grass...EVERYTHING was covered in ice where rain touched it! We even had thunder and lightning to go along with the ice!

By Monday morning, all the schools were closed, much of Oklahoma was without power and it was COLD. Our friends, the Knowles, ended up coming over Monday evening because their fireplace wasn't able to heat their house well enough for their two kids to stay warm so they headed over to our place for an impromptu slumber party. Unfortunately for the Knowles, today is Wednesday and their power is going on and off at their house and their mailbox was taken down by a neighbor's tree.

Yesterday, Matt and Trevor Knowles spent the day glued to their cell phones running around and helping out church members and friends chop up trees that were blocking driveways and streets. They two guys came home at about 6:30 pm, soaked and tired!

Today, Erin Knowles and I took the kids to a kids play place where they have those big inflatable bouncy gyms. We had to get the kids out of the house and some place to run around since they've been cooped up for days. Our venture out today was amazing with so many LARGE trees down and so many houses without power. Erin and I went out last night to pick up a few things and it is a weird sight to see entire blocks of neighborhoods without a single light showing, just pitch black! Seeing blocks of stores dark was weird, too.

Weather reports are predicting 1-3 inches of snow on Saturday but the silver lining to THAT cloud is that Quinton and I are flying out to San Diego on Friday and we may miss the snow and go straight to sunny skies!

Here's to hoping for better weather, SOON!

3 comments:

Melisa said...

Wow. That is really impressive! I thought last year was bad, but that was a piece of cake apparently. And I miss OK anyway... :)

Sarah S said...

yikes that tree looks horrible. OK has been in the news a lot from this ice storm!! we were supposed to get it too, but the temps ended up being warmer than they originally thought so we had regular rain.

but those pictures remind me of when we had tons of rain and then crazy wind that brought so many trees around us down. it looked like a war zone!!

Jade said...

Hey, the Harkers~. It's been really long time~

Appreciate your card and I got it exactly at the time I thought of your card last year. Know I'm not as diligent as you guys to send "offline" card, but would like to share our pictures with you guys since I've collected pictures in a blog as you've done in Blogger. (Link: blog.naver.com/csjadeok )

You can find categories on you left hand side and all our family pictures are under History category and Alex category especially for our sons! YES! Sons! My second boy has just come out to the world yesterday. It's awesome and is totally different feeling than the first one, Alex. ^^

Looked through some of your posting regarding Quinton and found that he grown so fast. Alex is exactly 36 months old and he isn't as big as Quinton~.

Thanks for your summary of your 2008 and it was gorgeous feeling to know your life on the other side the Earth. I subscribed your blog through RSS feeder from now on and keep up with your postings!

Thank you again for your "offline" update and keep in touch.

My email address: csjadeok@gmail.com, FYI.

Happy 45th Birthday!

Dear Matt, Happy 45 th  Birthday! You are still missed and loved dearly. I would like to think this is when your mid-life crisis should...